Pages

Saturday 21 September 2013

Starting afresh - School holiday, SCD, CSID and Me

Our world is a never ending juggle of Joy, Love, Food, Fun and Lovelie's. With 7 in our household, there seems to be a constant flow of chaos with that joy and fun. Because of the genetic disorder CSID Congenital Sucrase Isomaltase Deficiency, keeping everyone healthy, fed and happy is a little more difficult.

I guess the reason I am posting is to stay sane, and maybe help anyone  who is or has a family member diagnosed and has no idea where to start. It has been 4 years since diagnosis, but many decades fighting the symptoms. It has also taken us 4 years of diet finding, tweaking and organisation honing to get us to this pretty good place. I wished on those dark nights I was worrying about many different problems, that I could have found someone who had been through something similar.

All food here is made at home and there is very little processed foods in the house, so cooking is a constant. battle. We follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet SCD which is a monocarbohydrate diet that has improved our health and given us a new lease on life. Along with the lease on life  SCD gives you a lot more work.

I have spinal injuries that have been part of my life since I was 12. So this workload is shared between us all with the majority of it landing on my wonderful Husband and I. To make it all happen there is a lot of time and pain management, organisation, furniture placement and bulk cooking. Neither of us, overly enjoy cooking but sick or complaining children aren't that attractive either.
School Holidays, to me is a great time to get organised for the next school term and get proactive in anything that I can. As a reward for good behaviour and sticking with their diet, the four Littlie's asked to go to a School Holiday program. This will give us time to get some of those tasks ahead. Here is my School holiday list:

SCD Cooking - 

8 Loaves of Bread
4 Batches of Monster Cookies
2 Batches Fruit Rolls
10 Meat pies
3 Batches Pumpkin cake muffins
3 Batches Cheddar Crackers
Smoothie Sinchies


SCD Meals -
Faux Fried Rice
Tacos
Mock Mac and Cheese
Rissoles
Pizza Bases

Organisation -
Childrens Rooms
Declutter Family Room

Family Fun -
Beach Outing with Grandma
Play day in the Park
Kids cooking day
Movie Night
Spotlight Night
Scavenger Hunt 22/09/2013
Craft for Christmas Presents
Meet with our Friends from Canberra

No comments:

Post a Comment